Construction and repair professions are a great choice for anyone seeking a career change. Both careers have different characteristics that contribute to their success. Construction workers use heavy machinery to create buildings, bridges, and many other structures. Repair personnel repair and maintain large machines and buildings. Learn about the differences between these two careers and what kinds of work are best suited to each one.

The majority of construction jobs will require some form of basic training. In order to work as a construction worker, you must complete a high school education or GED. This shows employers that you can be reliable and you are dedicated to your job. Many construction jobs also require CPR certification, which allows you to respond in emergency situations. You will need this skill in order to get into the construction field.

If you choose to become a construction and repair specialist, you will need to receive training from either the local building construction and safety administration or the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Once you have received your degree from a vocational or technical college, you may apply to the ASME. Most states require this licensing, which is also required of all individuals who wish to work as maintenance or installation technicians. You can receive your certificate within a year after completing your training if you complete the requirements.

Maintenance and construction specialists perform work that involves using heavy construction equipment and heavy building materials. You may be called upon to inspect and service various types of machinery, such as cranes, boom lifts, and various structural elements. These experts examine building materials used for construction, such as steel, bricks, concrete, timber, etc. The structure of the building or structure location determines the type of material to be used. For instance, structures located in wet climates are more likely to corrode from exposure to salt water.

To obtain a construction and repair license, you will need to successfully pass the following written examination: a two-hour exam on structural mechanics and one hour of practical instruction in the installation, one of the following: structural maintenance and construction or repair; construction and repair or building construction and repair. Once you have completed your training, you will need to successfully complete a class 37 test given by the ASME. This class is divided into a practical and a theory exam. During the practical portion of the exam, students will be taught techniques that relate directly to the material being tested and will be presented in various situations.

Once your application is accepted and approved, you will then be assigned an installation/repair team. To become an installation or repair team, you will be required to take and pass a standard form approved by the institution that you plan to attend. Upon completion of the form, you will be issued a construction and repair card. As part of the licensing process, your card will indicate that you meet the requirements of the institution for whom you are studying. The card will also indicate that you have passed the construction and repair standards of the standard form approved by the architectural or building engineering commission.